Media Relations Officer
Willenhall 52.5805434 -2.039493
Head Office Willenhall
About the opportunity
We are looking for Media Relations Officer to assist in the day to day running of the press office, helping to develop and implement the PR strategy and change perception of the brand.
This role requires a proactive individual to liaise with journalists on a day-to-day basis, answer press enquires and be one of the main points of contacts for the media. Writing press material and helping to create disruptive PR, generating news worthy stories and driving positive and effective media coverage in print, digital and broadcast.
In this role you will also will be responsible for monitoring media coverage on a day to day basis and being the first to react to positive or negative stories in the press.
What you’ll be doing
As a Media Relations Officer you will be responsible for:
- Support the development and delivery of Poundland’s media relations strategy
- Manage and lead short to medium term press and media campaigns allocating resources and ensuring objectives are met, and contribute to longer-term departmental-wide projects.
- Manage the media response to incidents and provide specialist and expert media relations advice on issues to colleagues across the business, including senior management.
- Write, distribute and evaluate news releases for a wide variety of media, with engaging and impactful content.
- Respond efficiently and helpfully to incoming media enquiries from journalists and broadcasters.
- Surface news stories that align with the retailers agreed narrative and integrate them into our wider marketing communications activity.
- Build and develop strong relationships with a wide range of colleagues, including its Executive Board, Heads of Department, Business and Regional Managers.
- Build, develop and maintain mutually beneficial relationships with journalists and broadcasters
- Represent the media team at key internal and external meetings
- Assist the media relations manager in developing and improving the social and digital media presence, sourcing visual and digital content for use on the web and on digital and social media platforms.
- Liaise with external PR agencies and assist in their delivering of PR campaigns
It’s a busy and challenging role where you will be required to deal with ‘out of hour’ press enquiries/issues on a rota basis. Therefore you will need to be flexible to meet the business needs.
What we are looking for?
You will have proven experience of working in PR/Media Relations/Journalism or Communications role within retail or corporate environment. You will be an enthusiastic and highly proactive individual with the ability to work under own initiative as well as write engaging copy on a wide range of subjects and for a variety of audiences.
You will also have a degree in a relevant subject, for example Journalism/PR/English.
Why work for us
At Poundland we're known for our 'Amazing Value'. Our people are pretty amazing too.
It’s their energy and enthusiasm that makes this such a great place to work. And in return, we make sure that everyone enjoys the opportunity to progress their career with us.
From the first day you join us, you’ll get everything you need to do your job well. Your induction will take care of that. After that, your career development is in your hands. You can create your own journey as you put yourself on the map.
As long as you’re passionate about Poundland and delivering amazing value to our customers, we’ll support you to build your career progression plan and create amazing opportunities for yourself.
Head Office Willenhall